We’ve covered SEO tips in the past, but what about SEO mistakes? What are you doing, or not doing, that can actually be harming your website’s ranking on the search engines?
1) Keywords – you’ll repeatedly hear how important keywords or keyphrases are to your SEO, similarly, using the wrong ones can hurt your company. Take the time to know what terms people are using to search for your company or your competition. For example, more people search with the phrase “Real Estate” than “Home for Sale”; so you want to optimize for the keyword “real estate”.
2) Click Here – How often have you seen “Click Here” on a website and then the link takes you somewhere else? Using your embedded links is convenient for web visitors, but it’s also a great SEO tool, the search engines recognize this as something important, but if you use the phrase “Click Here” (or anything similar) you’re optimizing your website for the phrase “Click Here”. So, instead of saying “to contact Tingalls Dzyn, Click Here ” you should say, “Contact Tingalls Dzyn”.
3) Flash – Search engines read HTML. This means that if your website is in a different format you will not be found on the web when someone does an organic search. We see this a lot with websites that are designed in Flash, and even if they have a lot of keyword rich content, if it’s an image its value is lost on the search engines.
4) Home Page first – Too many people think that their home page is the first page visitors to the website will encounter. This may happen more often than not, but not every person is going to come to your site through your home page so it’s important to optimize all of them and then have your company name and/or logo displayed on each page and make sure that no page is a dead end. For example, you are Company X and you sell Product B, while many people may search for Company X others will just know they want Product B and have no idea what company makes it. Their search may lead them to your product information page for Product B and if that page doesn’t take them back to the home page or to an order page they’re stuck.
5) Not Titling – The Title Tag is one of the most important SEO tools you have. It is basically the tab on a file folder that quickly and easily tells you what is in the folder. This is vital information for search engines and on major way they categorize your website. Be informative and thorough in your title tag. While “Company X Home Page” may seem like enough information, just imagine how much more efficient this title tag is, “Company X | Product B | Buy Company X Product B”.